Thank you, cc. Being ancient, I am more attune to something like, "22, skidoo".Oh snap:
(exclamatory phrase) a playful indication of surprise, misfortune, or insult
http://www.votenoflorida.org/default.aspx
1. Vote No On 2 because it Takes Away Benefits
Amendment 2 would take away important family protections, including health care insurance and hospital visitation from all unmarried Floridians. The Florida Legislature's own analysis warns that this amendment: "... could place (domestic partnerships) at risk of losing specified rights and benefits, such as those related to health insurance."
2. Vote No On 2 because it Hurts Seniors
Amendment 2 would hurt Florida's large senior population by taking away partnership rights of widowed seniors, like health care and end-of-life decision making. The AARP and Florida Alliance for Retired Americans have spoken out against these kinds of dangerous amendments.
3. Vote No On 2 because EVERY Major Florida Daily Newspaper is Opposed to Amendment 2 - Newspapers across the political spectrum whose editorial boards rarely agree on politics have come out strongly opposed to Amendment 2. (read them)
4. Vote No On 2 because Discrimination Doesn't Belong in the Florida Constitution
The constitution should protect all of us from government intrusion and discrimination. This amendment would embed discrimination against unmarried people into our state constitution for generations to come.
5. Vote No On 2 because Hurting Families Doesn't "Protect" Anyone's Marriage
Despite the name "Marriage Protection Amendment" this measure does NOTHING to help curb the divorce rate or strengthen marriage. It only scapegoats unmarried partners and strips them of vital health benefits.
6. Vote No On 2 because it Permits Massive Government Intrusion
Amendment 2 puts the government where it doesn't belong - regulating the personal relationships of Floridians. Government should not make it harder for people to take care of their loved ones.
7. Vote No On 2 and Avoid Hiring Expensive Lawyers
Amendment 2 could force unmarried Floridians to hire expensive private lawyers just to be able to see each other in the hospital.
8. Vote No On 2 because It's Already Hard Enough for Families
At a time of economic crisis the last thing we should do is put government-enforced obstacles, big legal fees and more red tape in the way of people getting access to vital health care and family protections.
9. Vote No On 2 because Florida is Better Than This
When Florida voters understand the real harm to real people the Amendment will cause, they will vote no. Everyday more and more Floridians are standing up to this divisive, harmful amendment. The Fairness for All Families' Vote No On 2 campaign consists of over 260 civic, faith, and social justice groups working together to protect Florida's families. Help spread the word. Volunteer and donate today.
10. Vote No On 2 because It Harms All of Us
People have already lost benefits in states that have passed similar measures. In Michigan, health insurance for domestic partners were repealed at every state university that offered them. In Kentucky, amendment backers had promised they were only "banning gay marriage". Now they are working to eliminate domestic partner benefits for state and university employees. In Ohio, justice for domestic violence victims was impeded because lower courts ruled that their "marriage" amendment" prohibited applying domestic violence laws to unmarried couples.
More here.
Vote Yes on #2 - Here is why. Like it or not and brace your self fans of the ACLU.......... The United States of America was founded by protestant christians on protestent christian values. LIKE IT OR NOT THAT IS A FACT. DONT LIKE IT GET OUT! Just leave my christian values ( yes values ) alone. Marrage is between a Man and a Woman and comes in no other form. Not between Man and Beast, Man and Tree or anything else. That being said if a couple feels that a domestic partnership is in order, fine what ever. But do not steal and change the very definition of Marriage. How dare those of you threaten the worldly things we stand to lose ( such as funding) if we dont do what is moraly correct. Here is a little note for those of you, GOD will bless us for standing up for what is Morally correct. I dont need mans blessing. Man is beneath GOD and I seek not his approval. If you want to live in sin....... do it that is your choice. But do not force me to accept which I know is wrong with every moral fiber of my being by changing the definition of Marriage. The far left liberals already changed the definition of "choice" it used to be called Murder. I am not anti-gay and I understand that being gay is no more of a sin than anything other one that I can think of. But I will not let this country become a GODless wasteland like much of Europe has become today. Just look at how were were blessed when this country was on the path of rightousness. We are loosing our morals and our blessings as a result. Stand up for your Morals and vote Yes on #2 and God will pour his blessings on the entire state of Florida. Remember Sodom and Gamora!!!!!!!
Swampfox, rest assured, I have voted no on 2 and so has every rational person I know. And guess what? I have no intention of leaving my country because of your antiquated beliefs. Don't look now but women are priests. how does that fit into your lofty system of righteousness? I'm surprised you're still here. Can we look forward to you exiting the country if 2 doesn't pass, as it shouldn't? I'm praying for you.
If you're not worried about Man's law then why must you go out and make them (in this case repeatedly)? I can guarantee a lot of Christian folks on here probably don't like you taking that word and turning it into a word of hate.
Swampfox, rest assured, I have voted no on 2 and so has every rational person I know. And guess what? I have no intention of leaving my country because of your antiquated beliefs. Don't look now but women are priests. how does that fit into your lofty system of righteousness? I'm surprised you're still here. Can we look forward to you exiting the country if 2 doesn't pass, as it shouldn't? I'm praying for you.
Polls I've seen on prop #2 say it's got about 54-55% support with a 60% supermajority needed to pass.
As for the whole America as a Christian nation line and how it relates to marriage, I grew up Catholic. I'm officially rather lapsed these days but still hold a number of the Church's values. And part of that is that marriage should be a really big deal that you go into with the intent in all your heart that it's going to be 'til death, and how a lot of Protestant denominations seem to take the concept of divorce too lightly. (I'm not talking about divorce because of abuse or infidelity but the times when it's like 'we just got kind of bored with each other')
But do I want to force my view of sacramental marriage down other people's throats? Definitely not. (I just wish people would really think about what marriage is supposed to be before they get into it)
As far as I'm concerned, let the churches, mosques, synagogues, sacred circles, etc. handle the sacramental side of marriage, and let the government handle the civil and legal side of domestic partnerships. And I'm all for same-sex domestic partnerships because it seems like a basic fairness issue. I also think that the same sex couples out there getting married or joining together in civil unions right now (depending on the state) have also in most cases put a lot more thought into 'making it official' and what it means than what a lot of straight couple do. When they show the clip of a bride and a bride or a groom and a groom that are finally making it official after being together for 30+ years, it's like 'yeah, that's what being a committed couple is all about'
[mar-ij] Show IPA Pronunciation