• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

My dad

New posts
Well, now that lucky13 is home from her honeymoon, I can tell all our Sowal friends that our dad survived a serious car accident on Thursday. I didn't post the news to the board on the chance that she might read the board or run into a Sowaller who would ask about him. We decided not to tell her until she came home.
Anyway, thoughts and prayers for his speedy and full recovery are much appreciated. Long story short, he's a diabetic who doesn't manage his condition the way he should. His sugar level bottomed out while he was driving on the interstate, and he lost consciousness and ran off the road into a parked tractor trailer. The state trooper told him numerous times that he was "the luckiest man in the world," and his car is supposed to be a sight to see. He was helicoptered from the scene, and his worst injuries were a pretty heavy duty laceration on his cheek and a broken L-2 vertebrae. He should recover just fine, but he is very stubborn and is already complaining about wearing the back brace--saying he won't wear it--and is already not taking his insulin. So, maybe pray that his head will soften up a little bit, too... ;-)
 
Speedy recovery to your dad, and patience to you and the rest of your family. He has a hard head, huh?

Check your cell phone, I called you a bit ago.
 
Oh dear! I'm so glad to hear he's going to be ok! In my work, I see lots of diabetics every day who refuse to comply with doctor's orders. Heck, I would probably be one of them if I had it--but, the driving thing is scary! Hope you can reason with him---and get him to take his insulin!
 
jdarg said:
Speedy recovery to your dad, and patience to you and the rest of your family. He has a hard head, huh?

Check your cell phone, I called you a bit ago.
Oh, it's horrible. Must be a Lumbee trait. ;-) My mom's upset because she can't get him to do any of the things he's supposed to be doing, and I have to keep reminding her that he's a grown man.
I will, thanks for checking on me!
 
peapod1980 said:
Oh, it's horrible. Must be a Lumbee trait. ;-) My mom's upset because she can't get him to do any of the things he's supposed to be doing, and I have to keep reminding her that he's a grown man.
I will, thanks for checking on me!

:biggrin: ;-)
 
Sorry to hear about your dad. My dad had type II diabetes and was the same way - in denial, stubborn, etc. He got into accidents different times, was helicoptered too. I was always sooooo afraid he'd run his car up on the sidewalk and hit a child. He never checked his insulin, only took his meds when he thought about it. And he HAD always been a responsible citizen and father before! I so feel for all of you. It's hard and very frustrating. I'm hoping for his sake and yours that this might be a wake up call.
 
I know all about stubborness. My dad is 85, he was diagnosed with Alzheimers although some question whether he has that. He has a brain aneurysm that is inoperable. Had carotid artery surgery and supposedly suffered a stroke. Anyway, he had been having bad temperamental outbursts towards my mom, which he never used to do. His physician put him on some medicine for that because as he was exhibiting depression as well. When they filled the prescription he refused to take it. Mom told him, fine, just let it sit then. And she put it on the counter top and left it. Well, the next day, he got up and started taking it and it has made a world of difference in his way he acts. Hope your dad gets back on track. I hope someone gives him his shots. My dad and mom were returning from a trip to Florida many years ago, and my dad dozed off behind the wheel and they ran into the back of a flatbed tractor trailer, barely did any damage to their car luckily, and they were not hurt. A state trooper stopped and did not ticket them and told them the same thing they told your father. My father no longer is allowed to drive because of his condition now. He's not diabetic but I have a cousin in Texas that was just like your dad. He is around 40 now and when he got older he never took his shots or checked his sugar like he should. Had been diabetic from childhood. Almost cost him his eyesight. Good luck to you. Hope things go well.
 
Wow - sounds like lucky13 isn't the only lucky one in your family. I really hope and pray that your dad improves quickly and comes to his senses as far as the severity of his condition is concerned. My stubborn Mom neglected to monitor her own diabetes and had to have a leg amputated a few years ago. I think there are many people in my parents generation that don't realize or want to accept what a serious illness diabetes is. My husband has an aunt that just calls it a "sugar problem." And she's had her share of car accidents as well.
 
I'll say a prayer for your Dad. I'm glad he's going to be okay. My brother in law is diabetic and it scares my sister to death. I think he has it under good control now but a few months ago he was at work talking to her on the phone and then had an episode and fell unconscious. She knew what had happened and was trying to get through to someone at the office and couldn't for several minutes. It was very scary.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top