• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Worry!

New posts
Not at all and your answers are interesting. Growing up in the Southern Baptists Church, the Sunday School Teachers didn't like me asking questions. I don't think they actually had the answers except for the direct translation of the King James Bible. The preachers always had a way of wiggling around the questions, too, and none of them ever gave challenging thoughts to my own questions, and I had a lot of them. I'll throw some more your way later on. I enjoy discussing religion as long as there is not a literal Bible thumper on the other end.

"Dear Lord, save me from your followers." -- bumper sticker on my friend's mom's car


I Like that sticker !!
 
Not at all and your answers are interesting.
Growing up in the Southern Baptists Church, the Sunday School Teachers didn't like me asking questions. I don't think they actually had the answers except for the direct translation of the King James Bible. The preachers always had a way of wiggling around the questions, too, and none of them ever gave challenging thoughts to my own questions, and I had a lot of them. I'll throw some more your way later on. I enjoy discussing religion as long as there is not a literal Bible thumper on the other end.

"Dear Lord, save me from your followers." -- bumper sticker on my friend's mom's car

I would stick that on my bumper in a heartbeat!

Actually, claiming man is made in god’s image is textbook anthropomorphism.

No, claiming God is made in man's image is the definition of anthropomorphism.

And something I have always found odd. Why would god, a supposedly infinitely powerful being have an totally useless appendix?
Or canine incisors? Teeth that are only found in meat eating animals.

Evidently, god is a carnivore.

For that matter what would a deity need a digestive system for anyways?

Very, very weird -and one of the strangest religious beliefs.

You are making God in man's image. Let's not be silly, please.

But regardless, look at your response from the perspective of someone who does not believe in a literal interpretation of the bible- your response is completely predicated on biblical teachings -which is completely irrelevant to the person asking the question.

I understand that it is a fallacy to appeal to an authority that you do not accept. I wasn't arguing a priori knowledge or experience; it was my understanding that Bob's questions had to do with my belief as a Christian. None of those questions were independent of that.

Can you explain how claiming man was made in god’s image isn’t anthropomorphic without referring to the bible?

I'll do my best, and I'm sure that you will tell me where my argument needs more 'splaining or expanding:

Anthropomorphism is when we attribute human characteristics to something. I don't believe God has an appendix or a belly button. I don't believe that he has the characteristics of a human--he doesn't get sick, he doesn't screw up, doesn't slam his finger in the car door. This all falls under the definition of God; if he is God, he is not human. Omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent. Infallible.

My belief that we are made in his image is, obviously, a belief. I do not have independent verification of it. Of all the theories explaining how life, the universe and everything came to be, intelligent design is the one that makes sense to me. Like Einstein, I can't quite wrap my head around life that just "happens."

Tell me, Uncle Timmy, some of what you think. I want to understand where you're coming from, too. How do you think that a human, an elephant, a sycamore tree, and a ladybug all got here? How did we get from pre-Bang nothing to primordial ooze to a planet teeming with such amazing diversity?
 
Last edited:
A gift for you, Uncle Timmy. A friend (a Christian friend, I might add) just sent me this. (For what it's worth, I believe Old Testament law was specific to the Israelites within a specific time period, unless I need a good reason to smite my neighbor.)

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a east coast resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted fan,
Jim
 
The more I learn, the less I know! Thanks for the debate!
 
NoHall, I greatly enjoyed your answers. I ask many questions, and have few answers although my observations of human behavior never ceases to amaze. Like SJ, I carry the scars of being raised up in the Southern Baptist mentality. I've come to the conclusion that I needed this mental pummeling early to appreciate that there are so many possibilities about the big questions in life. Einstein was very spiritual, and wrote of his growing belief in God as he became older. I have an aversion to crowd mentality. So much of what I see in America is about groupthink and the politics of intolerance. Mexican illegals are going to be the next to get waylaid as we approach a possible recession. They'll be blamed for all our ills. With the population shift to the Sunbelt we currently have a toxic mix of religion and politics. Intolerance and fear mixed with a dependence on oil is precisely what has led us into the most morally misguided war of our generation. I lay responsibility for this mass insanity solely at the foot of Christian conservatives. It is the suspension of logic and trusting in faith that allows people to not think of the consequences of their actions. Christians should be the last to violence, not the first in line.
 
NoHall, I greatly enjoyed your answers. I ask many questions, and have few answers although my observations of human behavior never ceases to amaze. Like SJ, I carry the scars of being raised up in the Southern Baptist mentality. I've come to the conclusion that I needed this mental pummeling early to appreciate that there are so many possibilities about the big questions in life. Einstein was very spiritual, and wrote of his growing belief in God as he became older. I have an aversion to crowd mentality. So much of what I see in America is about groupthink and the politics of intolerance. Mexican illegals are going to be the next to get waylaid as we approach a possible recession. They'll be blamed for all our ills. With the population shift to the Sunbelt we currently have a toxic mix of religion and politics. Intolerance and fear mixed with a dependence on oil is precisely what has led us into the most morally misguided war of our generation. I lay responsibility for this mass insanity solely at the foot of Christian conservatives. It is the suspension of logic and trusting in faith that allows people to not think of the consequences of their actions. Christians should be the last to violence, not the first in line.

So....Southern Baptist....We have that in common. I was born again at 15 by a tent revival preacher.He preached hell fire, and scared me. I remember riding home with my family that night looking out the window at the sky and feeling so close to god. The same preacher years later died in a burning car. He was trapped inside. Church to me now is the beach or talking to anyone open to life. If someone chooses to go to church and worship that is cool too.
 
NoHall, I greatly enjoyed your answers. I ask many questions, and have few answers although my observations of human behavior never ceases to amaze. Like SJ, I carry the scars of being raised up in the Southern Baptist mentality.
So do I...

I've come to the conclusion that I needed this mental pummeling early to appreciate that there are so many possibilities about the big questions in life. Einstein was very spiritual, and wrote of his growing belief in God as he became older. I have an aversion to crowd mentality. So much of what I see in America is about groupthink and the politics of intolerance. Mexican illegals are going to be the next to get waylaid as we approach a possible recession. They'll be blamed for all our ills. With the population shift to the Sunbelt we currently have a toxic mix of religion and politics. Intolerance and fear mixed with a dependence on oil is precisely what has led us into the most morally misguided war of our generation. I lay responsibility for this mass insanity solely at the foot of Christian conservatives.
I wouldn't say "solely" (although I won't deny you your right to say it!) That kind of mess is not just found in Christianity; it's the nature of ganging up of any kind.

It is the suspension of logic and trusting in faith that allows people to not think of the consequences of their actions.
I think it's pride, pure and simple. But there are Christians who will use their so-called faith to justify what can't be justified by logic. It's an insult to both faith and logic. The Biblical definition of faith (if you'll allow me to use it as an example, not as a universal law) is "being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." I've never seen my own DNA, but I'm certain of it. I've never seen China, but my brother says that he was there. There is no proof that I'll live to see the morning, (in fact, I'm certain that I will die at some point) but I'm going to do the same things I do every night because I hope for it. I believe that God gives us concrete evidence of certain things every blessed day to teach us how to reason. This is what separates us from the other critters. I believe that it is ridiculous to act illogically and call it faith.

Christians should be the last to violence, not the first in line.
I think that Christ himself set that example, and nothing he or the writers of the New Testament taught contradicts that example.

I can't make up for the gross, illogical mess that is mainstream Christianity, but I appreciate your willingness to share your thoughts with me and to fight fair with me on it. I never want to be the sort of Christian you and Uncle Timmy have described. I appreciate your willingness to show me what you see.
 
Last edited:
Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted fan,
Jim


I enjoyed reading this.
 
So....Southern Baptist....We have that in common. I was born again at 15 by a tent revival preacher.He preached hell fire, and scared me. I remember riding home with my family that night looking out the window at the sky and feeling so close to god. The same preacher years later died in a burning car. He was trapped inside. Church to me now is the beach or talking to anyone open to life. If someone chooses to go to church and worship that is cool too.
Wow, the man that played the organ at my wedding was struck by lightning on a golf course and dispatched to a tee time in heaven. Of course, he was Presbyterian. I guess Baptists get cooked, Presbyterians zapped. What does that leave for Catholics? I seem to ponder the randomness of life the day golfer Payne Stewart died in that tragic jet decompression. I believe the week before Stewart had given over 500k to the largest Baptist church in Orlando. Is this a sign? Regarding spirituality, I realize how much there is to know, and that truth often lies exactly opposite our beliefs. We can learn something from everyone when we relax. I just need to make more time to listen.
 
Last edited:
Actually, claiming man is made in god?s image is textbook anthropomorphism.

.......................And something I have always found odd. Why would god, a supposedly infinitely powerful being have an totally useless appendix?
Or canine incisors? Teeth that are only found in meat eating animals.

Along those same lines, in Exodus, God claims to be a jealous God. Why would such a power, which created the Universe, have jealousy? Is God jealous of other Gods? Seems to be, but again, by definition, God is THE supreme being, therefore there cannot be other Gods. (my preachers never could answer this one.)
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top