• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Torture in Iraq

New posts
So I saw in this morning's news that the US is sending a fleet of aircraft carriers and battle ships to the Persian Gulf to show our arms against Iran, who is holding 5-6 Americans. Are we getting ready to start another war, this time with Iran?
 
I didn't check out the torture link, but I have seen a vid of one of the beheadings and must say it is the sickest thing I've ever witnessed. There are four beheading vids floating on the net which I have seen, and I don't think I could stomach the other three.
 
None of my thoughts on a potential war w/ Iran would make it past the filter.

The videos of torture, executions, etc. are as disgusting as the people who enjoy watching them and exposing others to them.
 
None of my thoughts on a potential war w/ Iran would make it past the filter.

The videos of torture, executions, etc. are as disgusting as the people who enjoy watching them and exposing others to them.

I put a disclaimer in there, and I think Americans need to be sick to their stomach to fight a war. I think the animals should be exposed for what they are. We continue to prove that we are weak and don't have the stomach for war. I am not in favor of a war with Iran, per se, but we already are at war with them in Iraq. A better nudge to the populace that is sick of the mullahs would be nice, as would a virtual economic blockade.
 
The videos of torture, executions, etc. are as disgusting as the people who enjoy watching them and exposing others to them.

While the videos are disturbing, I think it is important for us to see what is happening -- the ease with which they slaughter people without appearing to have a second thought is very disturbing. If more people were exposed to what is happening, it would certainly shake things up. Most of us would rather bury our heads, deep into the sand on the beach, but maybe we shouldn't.

I think most Americans would probably agree with your statement, but I don't. Of course, I never claimed to be like most Americans. ;-) You could even relate this thought of the videos to people seeing a video of what takes place when a cow goes to the slaughter house. Some people would would get excited about the death, while others would moan about how disturbing it is. The reality of it is that if we saw the videos from the cow in the field eating grass all the way through to it being eaten at a restaurant, most of us would become vegetarians. I don't know how to compare that to the videos of the beheadings, but I know that if we watched them, we wouldn't do things the same way as we are today.
 
Last edited:
I don't need to see a graphic video to know that war is horrible or that what some people will do to others is absolutely horrific. Often a picture or video is far better at getting across this brutality, but the fact that it is viscerally enjoyed is what disturbs me.

I also think it is incredibly unfair & naive to assume that kind of behavior is limited to Iraqis. This behavior is very human, no matter how much we would like to dismiss them as animals and pretend that our culture is any different.

Killing a cow (or any other animal) for food is a far cry from war, but I get the point that in either case noone wants to see exactly how the sausage is made.
 
I disagree with you SJ about exposing these tortures, beheadings etc. to the mass public. Most intelligent adults watch the news, have access to the internet, and other mediums if they need to see it and can handle it.
We all know what goes in the world.

Hell, I watched my friends die 9/11 live on television, and I resented the media constantly showing the same scene over and over again.

If I choose to watch it, that's my decision, but I don't need anyone sticking it in my face to make a point, either on television or on a message board.
 
I also think it is incredibly unfair & naive to assume that kind of behavior is limited to Iraqis. This behavior is very human, no matter how much we would like to dismiss them as animals and pretend that our culture is any different.

I disagree. If it is so human, why isn't it more widespread amongst developed nations? Name one country founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs that even begins to condone it.
 
Thanks for bringing that up. What is our ruling authority's policy towards such behavior?

Now what does the Koran say about it? Thanks in advance.

Again , what is your point? I do not understand your question regarding ruling authority's policy nor the Quran's input on microwaving unwanted children. I would guess a fanatical Muslim could find a passage in the Quran that would justify it much as a fanatical Christian could quote scripture justifying the same.

You miss my point that finding a disturbing image, posting it, and then insinuating or leading to a condemnation of a culture or religion ( as you are attemting with your initial post) is very easy to do.
A muslim can pull up sick things that happen in America and draw the same conclusions I believe you have about them.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top