• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Point Washington Shooters Amongst Us

New posts
I agree about the need for an assault weapon. However, I do not trust today's lawmakers to stop their Gun Prohibition at assault weapons. Once they are able to ban one gun, the remainder of the guns covered by the 2nd Amendment are in jeopardy. Just a matter of time and political clout.

Right, so politics will continue to trump good sense, and so nothing will happen. The 2nd Amendment's about a militia, not about the enabling of wasting kindergarten kids or your girlfriend you're mad at. Idiot.
 
I have a great solution. Let's work toward getting the constitution amended so that common sense can prevail in our gun laws and we won't have to worry about whether constitutional rights are violated. I think it's the only way it's going to happen. Let's make this a major issue and refuse to vote for congressmen and senators who have their heads up their butts on this issue. It might take a decade or so, but let's vote them out.
 
I am neither an idiot nor a supporter of assault weapons. And, you are the true idiot if you think that an elected official will not take advantage of this current hot button to further his re-election chances. You are likewise uninformed if you believe that a federal agency can effectively administer a ban on anything except a balanced federal budget. The problem is not only an assault weapon, it is our culture. Ban bad manners first. Idiot indeed.
 
Since when does the Constitution even come into consideration under this current Administration?

Like right now, certainly on the gun issue. If it were constitutionally possible to inject a little common sense into our gun policy, I'm sure the administration would have done so long ago. Unfortunately that's not the case. As long as the 2nd amendment stands as is, gun ownership extremists will continue to insist on the broadest possible interpretation. This is not in the best interest of society.
 
How would you word an amendment to the constitution that prohibited some guns, not others. How restrictive can you be on people's right to kill each other?
 
Like right now, certainly on the gun issue. If it were constitutionally possible to inject a little common sense into our gun policy, I'm sure the administration would have done so long ago. Unfortunately that's not the case. As long as the 2nd amendment stands as is, gun ownership extremists will continue to insist on the broadest possible interpretation. This is not in the best interest of society.

Gun ownership extremists?? They are simply exercising their Constitutional right to own arms. Just like Women voting. Just like Civil Rights for all. It is right there in the U.S. Constitution. And when has Common Sense recently come into play in this country?
 
I know common sense isn't rampant in this country right now, but I give LS kudos because he is seeing this on a major level. I listened to NPR all day on this, and really genuine, intelligent, proponents of gun control were still grappling on how to do this. LS's approach to doing it as an amendment is, not only an astounding leap forward in how to hit a problem head on, it's also so fundamentally doomed to the cavern of incapacity that represents the Congress Of The United States, that I shutter at the speed it will be dismissed. And I say that with all honesty, and, dammit, I'm an optimist...
 
How would you word an amendment to the constitution that prohibited some guns, not others. How restrictive can you be on people's right to kill each other?

Any amendment in this area is probably unenforceable at the start. However, if you really wanted to cover all the bases:
1. No guns allowed of any kind.
2. No knives over 3" either.
3. No violent DVD's allowed where any explosives, skin, shooting, sex, mental illness, or visual stimulation is evident.
4. No Nitrogen base fertilizer products allowed. No liquid propane gas allowed. No gas grills allowed. No backyard gardens allowed.
5. No violent movies allowed at all, cable, satellite or theater.
6. No fireworks allowed.
7. No vehicle over 30MPH allowed.

If you are going to LEGISLATE common sense, you are going to be very disappointed with your position.
Nobody can pass an enforceable law to prevent what happened in Connecticut this week. It makes good fodder for the Nightly News, but the base problem is the individual who does the killing. Pass a law to prevent individuals like him.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top