• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Car Buying Tactics

New posts

Mermaid

picky
Anyone have any good tried-and-true methods? We're in the market for another car, not new, but used with low mileage. We hardly ever buy cars. We tend to fall in love with them and drive them until they fall to bits (which is what is happening to mine, '93 Explorer with 130K miles on it--the poor thing needs to rest in peace). So we're not very experienced with what to do at the dealership. I need some bargaing tips!

One thing that confuses me is that we've done the research on the internet so we know what the ballpark price ranges are for particular mileages and years. We're going to take a look at a car this weekend. The ad (think it was from autotrader) said "Bring in this ad for the special internet pricing on this car." What does that mean? I thought you bargained for cars? Does this mean that even though it doesn't say "no haggle price" that's what it is, and that's what the price is, firm?
 
Although I can't help with your questions, I've heard that the best time to go to a dealership is on the last day of the month as they want to get cars out of inventory. I'm not so sure it would make much of a difference in price, but thought I'd pass it along anyway. Can't trust car salesman, but as long as you're happy with the car, don't have major problems with it, and are happy with the price I'd say you have gotten a good deal.

Good luck on the shopping and let me know how it goes...we'll be looking for a new (used) one soon and always appreciate tips :funn:
 
Last edited:
I am expert at this :lol: I have purchased all the cars we have had in the past with the exception of my husbands car which is now a vintage car. I always bought used, but 4 years ago I treated myself to a new Saab which was my decadent purchase and because you can hit a moose safely with it. :funn:

When I bought the used cars, first, I removed all jewelry, got dressed in my worst gardening and or painting pants and I never went with my husband. I looked around and test drove the used cars that interested me.
When I found one I liked I returned to the dealer at a later date, a few days later, and acted as though I had seen another car that I was interested in.
I voiced concern that I wanted to make sure the car had not been in any prior accidents and wished to have it inspected by my own auto technician.
I had wanted a Mitsubishi years ago and went to the Misubishi dealer who had an over run of leases turned in.

I took it to my tech who thought the car may have rolled over a speed bump too fast, but said the car was sound.

I then went back to the dealer and voiced my concerns that maybe the car had been in an accident, yadda, yadda, you know laid it on a bit.
They threw in a 2 year service warranty, gave me a free sunroof, AND lowered the price a bit as I said I had a specific budget.
One month later something broke, and they came and picked it up, lent me a loaner car, and I picked it up 2 days later. I never had a problem ever again after that except routine maintenance.

If you are in the market for another Explorer, I am sure you will have your gammut of them to choose from as people are tending to go towards though hybrids due to gas prices now.

As far as price and miles comparison, I used the Kelley Blue Book.

Good luck!
 
Last edited:
If you're at the dealership and they come back with a price and that's not the one you wanted or hoped for----walk out. They will most likely call you back with a very sweet deal. At least that's what happened to me. :biggrin: This was also an american made car. I'm not sure the imports haggle as much. It was a different experience when I bought my Honda. They sell themselves, no high pressure at all.
 
Last edited:
i am ashamed to say how i shop for a car.....

i go to the dealer, say i want this one, get it ready i'll be back later and that's the way it goes. the honda dealer loves me !
 
I would make sure to get a Carfax report. From what I've heard there are some flood cars out there for sale. I also used the Kelly Blue Book for an estimate on trade in value.
Good Luck! I do not think this is a funn process.
 
Be prepared! It sounds like you are. Have the Blue Book price available or tell them you want to see the blue book/retail/wholesale/loan value on the car. Try not to buy without walking away and calling your bank to check on the loan value. I try to get the price as close to loan value as possible but of course you will have to go over some. I don't know what the percent is that it should be over loan value.
 
Try to get a free warranty added in. Be aware that it is a usually a big money maker for the lot and they push these on alot of people who may not need them. If you do decide to buy the warranty be sure you know the guidelines for maintanence you need to follow or a future repair may be denied under the warranty.

That being said I do try to get a certified preowned car and since I'm by myself I have a warranty. But if I was married to someone who could fix cars I would not. Good luck Mermy, let us know what you get.
 
Mermaid, Here's a link to an article I enjoyed reading.
Confessions of a Car Salesman: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html

The writer is a Journalist who had written a couple books about cars and decided he'd like to get a job writing for Edmund's internet site. The first job they gave him was to go undercover as a car salesman for 3 months. :blink: It is interesting and I think written in a fair manner.

We've been looking off and on all summer for something for Jackie to learn on. We've always prefered 5-speeds but will get a smaller automatic for her to learn on.

Last weekend we walked out on a deal on a new 2006 corolla. We offered less than invoice - the car had more on it than we needed. As was mentioned, they called us back the next day with an offer $100 over ours. That car is still available, but now I'm a bit concerned about the safety rating on the corollas without the side airbags. :idontno:

Now are looking at the Honda FIT and Civic.

Anyone have experience with the FIT? Reading mixed reviews on the transmission.

Mermaid - Good luck and do your homework before stepping on the lot. Take it with you also, as they are getting used to people researching stuff and justifying the price.

I am also confused as to how the internet pricing and incentive certificates work. One relatively new salesman said the "on floor" salespeople weren't getting as much business because of people buying on-line. I'm pretty sure you just haggle by e-mail or phone until you reach an agreement. Check sites for any up-to-date incentives offered.

.
 
Last edited:
DO NOT GO TO A DEALER!

The last 3 slightly used cars I bought over the internet - do your homework and get a handle on the value of the car you want. You have to know what you want and the more common it is the better. Once you have your knowledge you can find many of your car for sale by perusing ads online and offline.

You then email the owner or dealer and tell them what they have is exactly what you are looking for and what is their bottom line. Once you are confident you have a price that is in the ballpark go check out the car and offer a bit less but you are already prepared to pay what they are asking because you know it is at least a fair deal.

I even had a dealer who offered to drive a car down from Montgomery JUST FOR ME TO LOOK AT and buy if it was what I wanted. He was fairly confident that I was for real and would buy it if it was what he promised. It was and I handed him a check and signed the papers on the hood in my driveway.

Dealers are well acquainted with the "internet buyer", people who have done their homework. The "internet price" is usually tied in to that. They sell a lot of cars with a minimum of effort at a small profit over the internet. Of course that doesn't mean they won't take advantage of you if you give them a chance. And no price is ever firm until they're holding your money.

Be sure to also check out ebay which is usually a good source, especially in a big city.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top