• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Wetland listings

New posts
Smiling JOe said:
Today, I saw some wetland property near Defuniak Springs listed for around $3500 per acre. If I correctly understand it, the mitigation land has to be purchased in the general area of the property to be mitigated. For example, one could not go to DeFuniak to purchase mitigation land for property located in SoWal.

The current ratios vary from as little as 2:1 up to as high as 60:1.

In my case Defuniak would be too far north. I need to be in the "Choctawatchee Watershed". I have heard differing views of where this actually extends - as far as Alabama by some - but I have been told by the FL DEP that I should look to be south of I-10 for my needs.
 
Last edited:
Correct, it has to be in the same watershed. Sometimes there is simply no land to purchase in the same watershed, or the person owning the wetland doesn't want to sell. That is why mitigation banks came to existence. It is just easier instead of frantically trying to track down wetlands, having to contact the local WMD to review (for $$$), etc.

Smiling JOe said:
Today, I saw some wetland property near Defuniak Springs listed for around $3500 per acre. If I correctly understand it, the mitigation land has to be purchased in the general area of the property to be mitigated. For example, one could not go to DeFuniak to purchase mitigation land for property located in SoWal.

The current ratios vary from as little as 2:1 up to as high as 60:1.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top