• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Redistricting

New posts
I've been messing with the new online mapping system for the House, but unfortunately it's kind of hard to use. (Not that I expect anyone to use any map I generate anyway, but it's kind of neat to play around with it.) I'm not sure what the deal is with pre-prepared maps, I think the census data was just finalized a few months ago. Seems people are complaining about something pretty insurmountable. Generally I'm sure they'll put something together and the trial lawyers will spend the next ten years getting filthy stinking rich trying to change it. What can you do. :idontno:

There's a good page at tampabay.com with all the links and info:

http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2011/reports/redistricting/

Here's the timeline:

http://censusvalidator.blob.core.windows.net/mydistrictbuilderdata/Public%20Participation/Redistricting_Timeline_Overview.pdf
 
Last edited:
Well, my question is that we have a Representative from Marianna representing south Walton and that District has to snake between Drakes and Patronis districts, I think that is something that needs to change. Then the arguement was made in P'cola/ Escambia that to make the lines along north/south versus eat/ west would not give a voice to the less populated rural north area. Kinda sounds like our own redistricting issue being debated right now in Walton county. I did find it amusing that Senator Gaetz thought there was a scripted agenda from the audience, imo, the redistricting process run by the leadership of the Florida House and Senate may be no better as to being scripted.
 
Well, my question is that we have a Representative from Marianna representing south Walton and that District has to snake between Drakes and Patronis districts, I think that is something that needs to change. Then the arguement was made in P'cola/ Escambia that to make the lines along north/south versus eat/ west would not give a voice to the less populated rural north area. Kinda sounds like our own redistricting issue being debated right now in Walton county. I did find it amusing that Senator Gaetz thought there was a scripted agenda from the audience, imo, the redistricting process run by the leadership of the Florida House and Senate may be no better as to being scripted.

Well I think the amendments pretty much insure a north - south delineation here as the lines have to be based on "city, county and geographical boundaries" with equal population in each district. There's no mention of the use of artificial boundaries (e.g. an interstate). It seem inevitable that rural areas are going to lose representation through this. (Maybe interstates are considered geographical even though they are man made? I have no idea.)
 
Last edited:
I live in an area that's gerrymandered within an inch of its life. What should be an area of about 10K that's easy to assign in bulk to one district or another (or alternately divide up based on a couple state highways that cut through town) ends up being a mess of homes in the same smallish subdivision being assigned to different districts. We're talking 'if you live in the 300-500 block of Otterlake Drive, you're district A, the 501-650 block of Oterrlake Drive, you're District B, and the 651-800 blocks of Otterlake Drive, you're district A, then on the adjoining Otterlake Cove, the north side of the road is District A, and the south side of the road is district B again'. I wish the county SOE still had actual maps of districts on their web site instead of just a precinct search box because it's hard to describe how badly the lines are screwed up here in some spots.
 
district7.jpg
district7.jpg

I don't see how you break up districts 5 & 7 without drawing boundaries along county lines.
 
I live in an area that's gerrymandered within an inch of its life. What should be an area of about 10K that's easy to assign in bulk to one district or another (or alternately divide up based on a couple state highways that cut through town) ends up being a mess of homes in the same smallish subdivision being assigned to different districts. We're talking 'if you live in the 300-500 block of Otterlake Drive, you're district A, the 501-650 block of Oterrlake Drive, you're District B, and the 651-800 blocks of Otterlake Drive, you're district A, then on the adjoining Otterlake Cove, the north side of the road is District A, and the south side of the road is district B again'. I wish the county SOE still had actual maps of districts on their web site instead of just a precinct search box because it's hard to describe how badly the lines are screwed up here in some spots.

You can look at both here -

http://floridaredistricting.cloudapp.net/MyDistrictBuilder.aspx

You need silverlight installed. On the left select House2002 or Senate2002 and County. The app takes a while to load, so give it time.
 
The senate districts look to be in a lot better shape, I think those will likely remain about the same.
 
Thanks for the link! Interesting to see how Med. Circle is in one state House district, but a number of the four house cul-de-sacs on the south part of Med. Circle are in a different state House district.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top