• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Officers at Hwy 98 intersections

New posts
Re: Officers

:lolabove:

Before I get anymore of those kinds of comments, it seemed unusual for them to park there, run there lights, & most looked like they were reading a paper the entire week we visited.

They were also sitting at other intersections connecting 98. I thought maybe they were looking for a particular car or person, almost like road blocks.

Texas Patrol Officers like to hide and bust you, maybe Florida Patrol Officers like to announce there where-abouts so that they do have to get out of there Air Conditioned Cars and write tickets.

Just curious.
 
Re: Officers

I read awhile back in the Walton Sun they were posted there because of the number of fatalities at that intersection - ? Don't know, but when I see them I sure slam on my brakes!!
 
Re: Officers

wintersbk said:
:lolabove:

Before I get anymore of those kinds of comments, it seemed unusual for them to park there, run there lights, & most looked like they were reading a paper the entire week we visited.

Seriously, They sit there with their radar guns on. I have a Valentine1 and that thing picks them up well before the bridge. They are always there but don't seem to have anybody pulled over :idontno:
 
Re: Officers

The officers are there to slow traffic down at the intersections. When 98 was 4-Laned FDOT was so short-sighted that they didn't think we needed traffic lights. It has taken several fatalities (particularly at 395) and the community's insistance for FDOT to "allow" traffic lights. Now we have to wait for the lights to be custom-made for the odd angles of the intersections :bang: .

As for the officers, you've figured out the big secret--they don't do much because they are actually off-duty. I have seen maybe 3 pull-overs in 2 months and I drive 98 almost daily. I think they are effective at slowing people down until everyone figures out that they probably won't get a ticket for speeding. However, speeding is only part of the problem. There are a lot of drivers making left turns onto and off of 98 who just don't pay attention. I've found myself being extra careful when turning because the officers are there. So I think they are effective in making people pay extra attention.
 
Re: Officers

I believe they are off-duty officers augmenting their salaries at about $20/hr. The locals have asked for help with the intersections and Walton County is waiting on lights/equipment because of the extreme width of the intersection there.
 
Re: Officers

I think it takes a year to get around to it then about 2 weeks to make it and install it. :roll:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top