• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Markets tumbling down

New posts
The dow got within 33 points of the 6000's today. We might even break below it. It seems the promise of 4 trillion in additional government debt, a 20% increase in budgetary spending, higher taxes on investment and business, and unrealistic economic projects by the Obama administration are not going over as well as expected. :roll:

I knew not to look at this one..... ;-) thanks for the update!! We are in for a SLIDE!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Cheers and have a beautiful day~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
The dow got within 33 points of the 6000's today. We might even break below it. It seems the promise of 4 trillion in additional government debt, a 20% increase in budgetary spending, higher taxes on investment and business, and unrealistic economic projects by the Obama administration are not going over as well as expected. :roll:

Yep, it is getting serious. We are basically sitting at horizontal support levels from 1998 and 2002. If the Dow breaks down and does not hold, we could have a long ways to fall. Even twenty percent would be painful. Below is a long-term weekly log chart of the Dow. Not much to prop it up below 7,000.

big.chart
 
Great graph. I love graphs almost as much as life itself. :biggrin:

1987 looks tame on an inflation adjusted basis.

On a positive note, it could be a good time to nibble on some bonds. Prices have dropped and if you believe that deflation has moved into extended stay quarters, longer term rates are definitely down.
 
The dow got within 33 points of the 6000's today. We might even break below it. It seems the promise of 4 trillion in additional government debt, a 20% increase in budgetary spending, higher taxes on investment and business, and unrealistic economic projects by the Obama administration are not going over as well as expected. :roll:

Imagine that :bang: I had a friend that got completely out of the stock market when Obama was elected. I thought he was crazy. I told him today that he was a genius :wave:
 
Imagine that :bang: I had a friend that got completely out of the stock market when Obama was elected. I thought he was crazy. I told him today that he was a genius :wave:

It is amazing how fast your hard earned dollars can go poof! I keep asking Mr. K if we can just break even or is it too late. He just politely ignores me. :shock:
 
It is amazing how fast your hard earned dollars can go poof! I keep asking Mr. K if we can just break even or is it too late. He just politely ignores me. :shock:

I have to thank SHELLY on my situation. I was asking questions a while back about how to get started and he/she recommended me finding a book by the guy who started Vanguard and read up a little bit. Well, I never could find the book locally so I haven't gotten started yet. Thanks SHELLY.
 
I have to thank SHELLY on my situation. I was asking questions a while back about how to get started and he/she recommended me finding a book by the guy who started Vanguard and read up a little bit. Well, I never could find the book locally so I haven't gotten started yet. Thanks SHELLY.

:clap:

Where was SHELLY back in 1978 when all this saving stupidity began? :biggrin:
 
:clap:

Where was SHELLY back in 1978 when all this saving stupidity began? :biggrin:

I don't know but my mom told me a story of when she was in high school in the 60's that they had economics lessons regarding the stock market, etc. She said one of the things that she thought was funny was that her teacher told the class that the stock market was legalized gambling, and making money was far from a sure thing. I remembered that story when I was hearing about how people lost a lot of their retirement money in the stock market during the discussions of TARP 1. Somehow the risk part of the stock market was handled like the risk part of the real estate bubble- not discussed openly. People seemed to be taken by surprise that the value of their 401k's weren't going to always go up, and could actually go down.:idontno:
 
The dow got within 33 points of the 6000's today. We might even break below it. It seems the promise of 4 trillion in additional government debt, a 20% increase in budgetary spending, higher taxes on investment and business, and unrealistic economic projects by the Obama administration are not going over as well as expected. :roll:

I certainly hope not!

I've been trying to be supportive of our new President, but all my worst fears about him weren't as scary as what he is proposing. I hope he will be reminded that over 40% of Americans voted against this type of change.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top