• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Layered Salad Nicoise

New posts
dbuck said:
LOL.:lolabove: I'm glad you were thinking the same thing I was, I thought it looked hard to make. :idontno:

Feel free to substitute Emeril's bottled Dijon Vinaigrette. That should make it a little easier!
 
Thanks Linda, I can open a bottle.

I still haven't made your jello shots, but they are on my Definite list.
 
dbuck said:
Thanks Linda, I can open a bottle.

I still haven't made your jello shots, but they are on my Definite list.

Jello shots - if you can boil water, you're set! ;-)
 
Here's my version:

Salade Ni?oise


Vinaigrette:
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Salad:
4 new potatoes
1 tablespoon green onions, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 1/2 tablespoons white wine
2 1/2 tablespoons water
1 large head Boston lettuce
4 ripe tomatoes, quartered
1/2 pound fresh green beans, blanched and chilled
2 hard-boiled eggs
4 anchovies
2 1/2 tablespoons capers
1 /2 cup Greek olives
1 (6 1/2 ounce) can white tuna


Combine all ingredients for vinaigrette. Cook potatoes until barely tender (about 20 minutes); peel and slice. Toss while warm with green onions, salt, and pepper. Then toss with wine and water. Let sit 5 minutes and toss again. Fold in 1/4 cup of vinaigrette and chill. Just before serving, assemble the salad in a wide bowl or platter as follows: Toss the lettuce with a little vinaigrette and arrange leaves around edge of bowl. Place potatoes in the middle. Arrange tomatoes around the potatoes. Toss beans with vinaigrette and arrange between tomatoes. Distribute eggs, anchovies, capers, and olives. Break up tuna and arrange at intervals. Dribble remaining dressing over entire salad. Serves 4.
 
When I worked in a gourmet takeaway (years and years ago), we used a Tuna Nicoise salad recipe from The Frog Commissary Cookbook, from the Frog Commissary in Philadelphia. We couldn't keep this in stock- the salad was penne, albacore, green beans, red pepper, cherry tomatoes, black olives, topped with this dressing. If you don't want to use the raw egg, maybe start with good mayo and add the rest.

I loaned this cookbook out and can't remember who has it.:bang: It is on my list to find- every recipe in it is good. The Frog was one of the first gourmet takeout places like we know them now.

Anchovy Dressing:
1 egg
1 cup corn oil
1/4 cup wine vinegar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teasopon sugar
2 tablespoons minced dill
2 tablespoons minced parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (2-ounce) can anchovies in oil, drained and finely chopped
 
dbuck said:
Thanks Linda, I can open a bottle.

I still haven't made your jello shots, but they are on my Definite list.
Yes, the Jello shots are on my Labor Day/Beginning of College Football weekend agenda. I will make orange and blue ones. How good can it get?!

GO GATORS!
gatorSmiley.gif
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top