• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Launch of Shuttle Discovery

New posts

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Space Shuttle Discovery is going to launch in less than 4 minutes. Let's pray for these guys that they have a safe lift off as we have already lost two shuttles and crews. Am uneasy about the foam being missing from that section of shuttle around the external fuel tank.
 
It was scary. The newscasters were talking about "Shuttle Fever," as in they really were in a frnezy to get this up today for political and funding reasons. Let's pray that they all get back safely.
 
Don't know whether anyone caught that on CNN, but before they quit showing the footage, that shuttle was at way over 14,000 mph. I was holding my breath. When they told them to throttle up and with the angle they were turned, it brought back memories of the Challenger when they were told the same thing and the explosion that tollowed upon doing so! Then they showed Discovery up in space separating from the big solid rocket booster. Felt they were home free then. But now, the re-entry into the earth's atmosphere hopefully will go as well. Because that is when Columbia disentegrated upon re-entry. And it had a problem with the foam coming off and hitting some fuel tank or something. A total of 6 different pieces of foam. Couldn't believe it! Hope that doesn't cause a problem on re-entry!
 
My friends and I evacuated to Orlando during Hurricane Dennis last July, while there we heard that the shuttle was to launch and so we high-tailed it over to the cape. Unfortunately the launch was scrubbed due to weather. I was so disappointed. I was watching on TV yesterday and wishing I was there.

Anyone had the chance to see a shuttle launch?
 
Never have had the chance to see one in person. Unfortunately, yesterday 6 pieces of foam broke off of the shuttle. Heard it yesterday! Hope none of the foam hit anything on the shuttle. That is what happened to Columbia and on re-entry it blew up! Hope there is not a repeat of Columbia! I loved the old Gemini and Apollo missions when they sent up the regular rocket ships. Loved watching the splash down. Things sure have changed. We used to get to watch those lift offs in elementary school! Boy, was that many years ago!
 
twt512 said:
My friends and I evacuated to Orlando during Hurricane Dennis last July, while there we heard that the shuttle was to launch and so we high-tailed it over to the cape. Unfortunately the launch was scrubbed due to weather. I was so disappointed. I was watching on TV yesterday and wishing I was there.

Anyone had the chance to see a shuttle launch?

I got to see Sally Ride's shuttle launch in '83 I think it was. It was neat, but I was soooo tired because we drove overnight to get there. Also I was too young to probably appreciate it properly. We weren't right up close, but we got a good view. As a child it isn't nerve-wracking; if I saw it now I would be just a nervous wreck. I'm not sure I would go to one because of it.

Yesterday we were in Orlando. I didn't want to watch the launch on TV (nerves) but we did see it in the sky after launch. You can get a pretty decent view and we were happy to see it go up safely. :clap_1:
 
I got in trouble for cutting school to watch coverage of STS-1. :roll:

I saw a launch in 1985 at the Cape and it was awesome!
 
when i was much younger i was in melbourne florida when a shuttle went up. the thing i remember most is when the sound barrier was broken all the hotel windows rattled. you could see it going up into space though and it was cool. we always watch the launches on nasa tv. my favorite thing to see is when they land at night. they sometimes have a camera in the pilot's helmet and you can see what they see out the shuttle window.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top