• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Katrina and oysters

New posts

JB

Beach Fanatic
Well, we are almost to October. Normally, the time of year when I start eating as many oysters as I can get my hands on. Problem is, the oyster beds in Louisiana are, for all intents and purposes, gone. I know Acme at baytowne wharf still gets their oysters from Lousiana (or at least they did before Katrina).

With the Bon Secour beds also destroyed, and with red tide in Appalachicola, are there any decent oysters around? If so, where are they coming from?
 
Beach Runner said:
I wonder if it's okay to eat oysters at the Taste of 30-A event this Friday. BTW is Taste of 30-A worth going to?
I guess that depends whether TS Rita becomes Hurr Rita and ruins the party.
 
OK, here's the straight dope on oysters. They are filter feeders, so that means they suck in whatever is in the water along with their food. Imagine an organic aquarium filter in dirty water and you've about got it. Add sewage and you get a tasty oyster. I will not eat gulf oysters until next year at the earliest. Find a place that has Atlantic Oysters, since Ophelia didn't hurt their environment too badly.
 
Last edited:
aquaticbiology said:
OK, here's the straight dope on oysters. They are filter feeders, so that means they suck in whatever is in the water along with their food. Imagine an organic aquarium filter in dirty water and you've about got it. Add sewage and you get a tasty oyster. I will not eat gulf oysters until next year at the earliest. Find a place that has Atlantic Oysters, since Ophelia didn't hurt their environment too badly.
Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'll eat any until next year AND I get the hepatitis A vaccine, just to be safe.
 
most of the resturants up here have switched to atlantic oysters already (joe's crab shack, etc). they're a little more 'bright' tasting than gulf oysters
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top