• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

I Miss Kimmifunn!

New posts
Kimmifunn....I have an idea for you and all the other good southern folks out there. Post your favorite "ol' sayin'" you heard growing up and add the meaning if it's too obscure!!!! My mom was from Maryland and was raised by a wretched Victorian grandmother, so I missed out on a lot of those pearls of wisdom! I've always loved my friends quoting their kinfolk...cracks me up! Isn't there a book of them...probably at Sundog!
 
Sueshore said:
Kimmifunn....I have an idea for you and all the other good southern folks out there. Post your favorite "ol' sayin'" you heard growing up and add the meaning if it's too obscure!!!! My mom was from Maryland and was raised by a wretched Victorian grandmother, so I missed out on a lot of those pearls of wisdom! I've always loved my friends quoting their kinfolk...cracks me up! Isn't there a book of them...probably at Sundog!


One of my favorites:

"I'm hangin' in there like a hair in a biscuit."

I have no idea of it's origin.
 
kimmifunn's already heard this, but it is one of my favorite "greetings":

"How's yamama an'em??"
:clap_1:
 
I'm so glad I was missed! Yay! :clap_1: I still can't get on Sowal at work :(

Ok...so here is one of mine...

Shoot fire and save matches.

Not sure what that means... :idontno: but my mom said it in placement of expletives!
 
Rita said:
I grew up with the "shoot fire" (in southern Illinois) BUT "save matches" ? :idontno:

Near Belleville perhaps? Husband's from there. First time I visted in college, his family was talking about "chat" on the road and I thought they were talking to people in the street!!!!
 
Sueshore said:
Near Belleville perhaps? Husband's from there. First time I visted in college, his family was talking about "chat" on the road and I thought they were talking to people in the street!!!!

:lolabove: No, but Bill went to high school in Belleville. We're from Oblong & unincorporated community of Wendelin :blink:
NO large towns around! Talk about country, "the sticks" or "the "boonies".

We're Uof I Alums. (The Chief may have to go the way of the Crackers.)
 
My favorite one is and I have even used it on my own kids, here goes: Don't do that, you will poke your eye out!" I have boys, how many times have I said that!!! :floor:
Seaside Gal. :clap_1:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top