• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Growing up at the beach

New posts

joho

Beach Fanatic
Popular past time "The Matter Horn" (Officers Beach Club) sand skiing on the weekends.
circa 1969
 

Attachments

  • sand skiing.jpg
    sand skiing.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Wow. I envy your youth!!
 
I remember the Matterhorn. It was not too far east of the Tower Beach pavilion, a really big hang-out in the junior high days. I was just talking with someone the other day about when the bridge into Ft. Walton was a rotating draw bridge! Early sixties.
 
Out here in Seagrove, back in the day, we rambled all the dunes east of Eastern Lake. We gave all the major dunes names:There was The Big Hill, The Big Big Hill, The Jumping Hill, Headquarters Hill (where we stashed our booty of Indian pottery shards) and, of course, the biggest, steepest dune was called The Pipeline.
 
Is that YOU, Joho? How funn!!!

No thats not me but I use to be pretty good at it.

Lake View Too......yes that's what we did on the weekends, every weekend :) The Matterhorn was huge actually you could ride it right into the water.....the trek getting back up was a drag!

We moved to Fort Walton in 64...I remember waiting on the draw bridge.
 
What great posts for those of us who are now lucky enough to live here but didn't in the past.
 
No thats not me but I use to be pretty good at it.

Lake View Too......yes that's what we did on the weekends, every weekend :) The Matterhorn was huge actually you could ride it right into the water.....the trek getting back up was a drag!

We moved to Fort Walton in 64...I remember waiting on the draw bridge.

We moved to Ft. Walton in 65. I was in the 8th grade. Graduated Choctaw in 69. My brother was in the surfer crowd. I was more the football player. Go Big Green! But we all hung out at Wayside, when it was little more than a parking lot and a wooden pier.
 
I concur with Andy A. I love just daydreaming about what it would have been like to live here in the 60's and 70's. Where could I find reprints of the favorite hangouts and points of interest back in the day? My eye for Art starts with Santa Rosa Beach and ends in Santa Rosa Beach...
 
We moved to Ft. Walton in 65. I was in the 8th grade. Graduated Choctaw in 69. My brother was in the surfer crowd. I was more the football player. Go Big Green! But we all hung out at Wayside, when it was little more than a parking lot and a wooden pier.

I know exactly who you are except back then you were known as Gary.....:)
I think your father taught Science and I hung out with your brother......curious? lol
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top