• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Brackish Barracuda??

New posts

Jack H.

Beach Crab
View attachment 71241 View attachment 71242 Yesterday I was kayak fishing with a buddy in Draper Lake (Blue Mtn. Beach). For those who don’t know, this is just one of 30A’s many brackish-water lakes that naturally open up into the gulf. I fish this lake quite regularly - I usually catch small redfish, brim, and other baitfish. Nothing out of the ordinary. But yesterday I caught a fish that I had certainly never seen before in this lake.

I was using a silver spoon for bait. As soon as I hooked the fish, it started jumping out of the water. Put up a pretty good fight. I knew it was decently big. Very uncharacteristic for any fish I had ever caught before in Draper Lake.

I got it to the side of the kayak and to my disbelief, this thing looked like a damn barracuda. It had some big, sharp teeth. I thought to myself, there’s just no way... but upon further investigation, everything matches up with a barracuda, and I’m just in shock...

For anyone out there who knows about fishing in this area, I just have a few questions.

1. Is this a barracuda?
2. What is it doing in Draper Lake?
3. Is this a normal fish to have in these coastal, brackish-water dune lakes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please see pics of fish attached.
 
Cool!

Any fish you can find in the Gulf you can find in a coastal dune lake, provided it has an outfall that connects it to the Gulf periodically. Including Dolphins and Sharks! I've also seen a sea turtle in a lake outfall once.
 
I have caught smaller ones in Eastern Lake but nothing of the size you have there - I've also caught rays and jacks especially after a good storm when the lake is opened NATURALLY.. Nice fish!!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top