• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Affordable, long-term housing idea.

New posts

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
This is an idea I've been looking into, and one which I believe could help with our lack of affordable, long-term rental housing here in south Walton.

Let's push to ammend the Walton County Land Development Code to allow for the long-term rental of 'Accessory Apartments' (ie.- garage apartments or carriage houses).

The code currently allows for the construction of accessory apartments but these can only be used by family members. Section 6.02.01 (B) of the LDC states "The accessory apartment shall not be available for commercial short-term or long-term rental to any person who is not a family member of the owner of the property."

My understanding is that the state of California has been pushing its municipalities to loosen restrictions on accessory apartments recently as a low-cost, no sprawl solution to similar housing issues we face here.

We have many of these structures in south Walton, and this solution could open up many small, affordable rental units, probably in areas close to where these people work.

For the homeowner, the income could help subsidize the mortgage or our (rising) taxes. For an out-of-town homeowner, it could be a real advantage to have someone on site in the garage apartment keeping an eye on things or even helping prepare the house for storms when the homeowner can't get here in time.

I'm looking for some feedback from the community. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

I'd like to get some of our regional organizations, like the South Walton Community Council involved, if anyone has any contacts with these groups?
 
Sounds like a VERY practical solution. I love those!! :clap_1:

What rental house owner would not want a long-term renter looking out after the property? I imagine many full-time residents would not want a renter, but it seems like the majority of housing in SoWal is second homes anyway. Great idea, and it might relieve a bit of the current problems. :clap_1: :cool:
 
It's a good idea in theory, but I think it will hit a brick wall in areas with HOA covenants--especially in the areas with a high percentage of "well to do" who don't see the added income as an incentive to favor such a change. Insurance liability can be a bit more tricky as well, resulting in higher [if that's possible!] insurance premiums.

From the sound of the original post, it seems the proposal would be for a "house sitter" willing to pay rent as opposed to someone to work bagging groceries at the local Publix and using the property as a private residence. If the rental comes with "strings attached" (i.e., house maintenance, security, etc.) in return for a break on the rent, finding renters, collecting monthly rents and ensuring the "contracted work" is completed will be difficult at best.

The idea certainly has merit--but on a a very, very small scale; I don't think it will provide the relief the community desperately needs.
 
SHELLY said:
It's a good idea in theory, but I think it will hit a brick wall in areas with HOA covenants--especially in the areas with a high percentage of "well to do" who don't see the added income as an incentive to favor such a change. Insurance liability can be a bit more tricky as well, resulting in higher [if that's possible!] insurance premiums.

Good input. I am interested in finding out what the HOA in communities like Watercolor and Rosemary have to say on this subject. Both places have a very high number of accessory apartments and both communities already allow short-term rentals, so I am curious as to what their position on long-term rentals of this nature is. Maybe someone here who owns in either place can help answer that.

My own neighborhood in Blue Mountain doesn't have any restrictions regarding rentals, so there are some communities where this would be permissable.
 
twt512 said:
Good input. I am interested in finding out what the HOA in communities like Watercolor and Rosemary have to say on this subject. Both places have a very high number of accessory apartments and both communities already allow short-term rentals, so I am curious as to what their position on long-term rentals of this nature is. Maybe someone here who owns in either place can help answer that.

My own neighborhood in Blue Mountain doesn't have any restrictions regarding rentals, so there are some communities where this would be permissable.

Do you think if allowed to build these, the homeowners would rent them out short term for more money, thereby not solving the problem of long term affordable rentals?

This area definitely needs something along those lines, and good for you trying to find the answer. I know a fifteen year old down here that works seven days per week at a local restaurant to help his mom pay rent and expenses for his family. He has a younger sibling and his mom is a single mom working too. I am very proud of his willingness to help out his family.
 
Smiling JOe said:
Do you think if allowed to build these, the homeowners would rent them out short term for more money, thereby not solving the problem of long term affordable rentals? .......

HOAs could restrict the rentals of such to 3 months or longer, not allowing short-term rental of these units. I know 3 months is short-term to some, but something along that line could fit college students' summer schedules. Many college students would love a summer job at a beach resort area.

Are Watercolor, Watersound, and other places mentioned experiencing the need right now for service jobs? I would assume they are and thus would be willing to look into ideas like this for their own benefit.

Sometimes all it takes is someone willing to spearhead an idea and see if it is feasible. I like that twt512 is trying to work to alleviate a growing problem in the area, instead of just pointing it out as a problem.
 
If I remember correctly, in WC you cannot rent out the "accessory building" separately from the main house.
 
Sueshore said:
If I remember correctly, in WC you cannot rent out the "accessory building" separately from the main house.

But covenants can be amended if there is a need and/or interest, right?
:idontno:
 
Smiling JOe said:
Do you think if allowed to build these, the homeowners would rent them out short term for more money, thereby not solving the problem of long term affordable rentals?

For the "Resort Communities" that is possible. However I did talk to friends who had a carriage house rental in Rosemary, and they felt that for the handful of times they rented it during the season, minus the cost of cleaning and management fees etc. -they would probably have done as well with a steady, long term rental. I have no idea how valid this is overall.

Plus, the carriage houses are pretty small, I don't think they are as desirable to vacationers who are coming down with family/friends.

Since I'm only speculating on some of the economics, I can probably best address your point with some personal thoughts:

On my own property I have a planned art studio/apartment which I want to build within the next few years. It could also serve as an apartment for an elderly parent one day if the need arises. In the mean time, I would love to give a young person a chance to get a foothold in this community the way I did when I moved here. That and the added bonus of having someone 'on site' to look after things when I go away on vacations, etc. more than outweighs the potential additional income from short-term vacationers.
 
Smiling JOe said:
This area definitely needs something along those lines, and good for you trying to find the answer. I know a fifteen year old down here that works seven days per week at a local restaurant to help his mom pay rent and expenses for his family. He has a younger sibling and his mom is a single mom working too. I am very proud of his willingness to help out his family.

My heart goes out to that young man and his mom...I hope he and his fellow service workers in the area realize what scarce and valuable assets they are to the area and CHARGE FOR THEIR SERVICES ACCORDINGLY!

"Supply and demand" have sent area property values to the moon...maybe it's time for area service workers take a page from the Realtors' playbooks.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top