• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Wondering About Alice?

New posts

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Being a big Tim Burton and Johnny Depp fan, I was excited to see Alice In Wonderland. It was a movie you can get lost in. Watching in 3-D :cool:took some getting used to, but after a few minutes I adjusted. There were a few frightful scenes for preschoolers and maybe even grade schoolers but it was well worth the matinee ticket.:clap:
 
I think all of his films have that dark side to them. I think that is what makes them so great to me. I agree that we may be the minority in that some people prefer the softer side of Alice in Wonderland.
 
It's a Burton movie of Alice and Wonderland with Johnny Depp - based on that and the preview before Avatar I just assumed it was dark and freaky. :idontno:
 
Hello? It's Tim Burton and Johnny Depp for Pete's sake! LOL!

Haven't seen it, yet, but definitely will so I can do the 3D thing. It has been interesting to read about how they filmed it, digitized it, and then, did freaky things like color Depp's eyes and make then 15% larger than they really are. They also streched Helena Bonham Carter's head to three times its normal size.

Burton is definitley a visionary in his own inimitable way to be sure!

Just added this via the edit...
I was reading another article, and it said that in the previews you can see that the Mad Hatter's pupils are of a different size. That is an indicator of a brain injury. I wonder if Burton thought of those details or just thought that he would look freakier with two different sized pupils?
 
Last edited:
Hello? It's Tim Burton and Johnny Depp for Pete's sake! LOL!

Haven't seen it, yet, but definitely will so I can do the 3D thing. It has been interesting to read about how they filmed it, digitized it, and then, did freaky things like color Depp's eyes and make then 15% larger than they really are. They also streched Helena Bonham Carter's head to three times its normal size.

Burton is definitley a visionary in his own inimitable way to be sure!



I sat in the front bank of seats in a large theatre and it was full. It was really cool to look back and see all the gazers in their goggles! I wanted to take a pic but was afraid I would get the boot. The famous Life magazine photo came to mind.
 
I thought it was fantastic! Beautifully done and, yes, darkly rendered. But what you've gotta realize is that not only is it a Burton/Depp collaboration, it also took quite a lot from the books. The stories were pretty dark... Definitely not the fluffy-wuffy uber-sanitized Disney cartoon version.

Wonderful movie! I particularly liked Depp's recitation of the Jabberwocky poem... :wub::wave:
 
I thought it was fantastic! Beautifully done and, yes, darkly rendered. But what you've gotta realize is that not only is it a Burton/Depp collaboration, it also took quite a lot from the books. The stories were pretty dark... Definitely not the fluffy-wuffy uber-sanitized Disney cartoon version.

Wonderful movie! I particularly liked Depp's recitation of the Jabberwocky poem... :wub::wave:

Ditto! Brody and I have seen it 3 times! The movie was based more on Carroll's book "Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There" than on the actual Alice and Wonderland. But as a former student of Sandy Graff...you already knew that didn't you? I loved it when she made us memorize the Jabberwocky...and loved it even more when Depp recited it in the movie.
 
Ditto! Brody and I have seen it 3 times! The movie was based more on Carroll's book "Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There" than on the actual Alice and Wonderland. But as a former student of Sandy Graff...you already knew that didn't you? I loved it when she made us memorize the Jabberwocky...and loved it even more when Depp recited it in the movie.

Actually, I never got to take Ms. Graff's class... Just not special enough, I guess... :(

However! I DID know that, which is why I said "books"; I've just always been a reader and always had a soft spot for fairy tales and fantasies. :blush: I chose to memorize Jabberwocky all on my own, just for fun, when I was a kid... (Yep. I realize that I'm a nerd, and have completely come to terms with that aspect of my life.)

I always loved her conversations with the flowers in "Through The Looking Glass". Carroll had a genius for making you see the story in your head while you read the words... :wub::wave:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top